Bead and Bauble Jewelry at Etsy.com

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Why Work?

Finding a job is a full-time job.  I'm wondering why I want to go back to work at all.  I mean, really.  It's great for the old ego to submit applications and resumes all over town only to either hear nothing or to find out the the place you were applying was a complete scam!!

I've sent in at least 3 dozen applications/resumes and received 3 calls and had 2 interview.  Then. complete silence.  You've all heard, I'm sure, of the song "Silent Night."  Well for me, baby, it's "Silent Life."  Silence may be golden, but it is also painful.

Actually, for me it is literally painful. I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears) so when I'm sitting here at the desk searching for jobs, if I'm not plunking away at the keyboard, I hear this high pitched ringing in my ears. So yeah, it is kinda painful.

Oh well, you know my motto, better me than you!!

I've ranted quite a bit about all the scam job stuff out there on the net. Well, I'm changing today's topic a bit.  It's not quite the job scams, today's topic is how fast the on line colleges get your email address and even phone number.  I must get at least 4 messages in my in box and countless numbers in my spam box of colleges asking me if I've thought about furthering my education to increase my marketability.  These college are even so bold as to call me.  Wow, you give your email address and phone number to one job search sight hoping it will make you more accessible for legit employers to get a hold of you and all the colleges get a hold of it and whamo, you're on their hit list.

Don't they realize that if I had enough money to increase my education, I wouldn't be looking for a job.  Working full time and going to school is rough.  I should know, I did it for five years.  Yep, 5 years!

These people are nuts if they think that at 45 years old, I have the energy to work full time, take care of my family, and go to school.  These college recruiters need to have their collective heads examined.

Besides that, I'm out of work.  How in the heck do you expect me to pay for it???  Hey on line colleges, if you're giving away full scholarships to middle-aged, unemployed women, count me in.  However, if I don't get a free ride, then forget it.  I need to work to earn money for my family, not spend $30K while working myself half to death at a paying job and then having the other half killed off by school work.

Gimme a break.  All you Internet recruiters ... get a clue.  We work for a living because we need the income, not because we love waking up at 6:00 AM, going to work, and being under appreciated on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment