Bead and Bauble Jewelry at Etsy.com

Friday, November 12, 2010

Nov. 12: Day 15 ....

Day 15 - 37 Applications - 2 Interviews - No further contact -- and a partridge in a pear tree ....

It is very uncomfortable to type today.  Why, you ask?  Its a long story and doesn't directly relate to my job search.  Okay, okay.  I'll tell you.  Jeeze, if you really want to know so badly, sit back and enjoy my pain.

You know that I've been unemployed for 2+ weeks now.  I'm starting to feel a little blue and I'm doubting myself and my worth as an employee.  So, while visiting the local drug store, I was looking at all the beautiful nail polish wondering if I'll ever have the need for getting my nails all painted up "perty" again.  So, in a moment of weakness I was drawn to a pretty, pink, flower shaped pumice.  It said it contained special cleansers, botanicals, tea tree oil, etc. to give you "smooth, soft, sexy feet."  Okay, okay; I know that I for one have never looked at a man's feet and thought, "Wow, those are some awesome feet; I've gotta go meet that guy."  and I'm fairly certain that no one has ever looked and my feet and thought, "Oh baby, those are some sexy peds."  But anyway, I purchased the buffer.

As I was bringing out the sexy in my feet, the thought never crossed my mind that cleansers become slippery when wet.  So, as I was sliding  around the tub, I tried to grab hold of something.  Hmmm, the shower wall should do.  Nope, it is even more slippery than my feet.  Ouch!!!  So now, I have beautiful, sexy feet - but my right arm hurts like crazy.
 
If I get called for any interviews in the coming days, I'll have to wear my strappy little summer sandals to show off my gorgeous feet, even if it is only 50 degrees (or less) outside.  I'll need something to draw attention away from the fact that I can hardly move my right arm.  A sling is out of the question on an interview, so I figure showing off my beautiful, soft, smooth, sexy feet should do the trick!  Right?

Now back to the subject at hand -- my job search ... I'm LinkedIn, I tweet, I'm on Facebook, now I blog.  I'm a 21st century girl -- all high-tech and everything.  Maybe??  While I was breaking my neck in the shower, I got to thinking about the 4 or 5 job boards I visit on a daily basis, you know ... Careerbuilder, Indeed, Monster, Craigslist, and Fins.  If my computer were a telephone, these sites would be on speed dial.  Now I'm showing my age.  Speed dial ... can you believe that speed dial is outdated.  Now it's all voice activated calling, Bluetooth enabled, txt compatible with Qwerty keyboard.  You know, when I got my cell phone a year ago (with text capability for the first time), I had to ask the sales guy what in the heck a Qwerty keyboard was.  He looked at me in amazement and said you know, " 'Q - W - E - R - T - Y' like the top line of a keyboard."  Holy Cow, I was an Executive Assistant and had been typing since Jr. High School and I never knew the typewriter keypad (or computer keyboard) was a Qwerty keyboard.

I hate being old.  And I hate it even more when adults look at me like I'm some kind of archaeological find that was just dug up from the dinosaur age.  I'm only 45.  I can't retire yet.  Just because I didn't know what a Qwerty keyboard was doesn't mean I should go back under the rock I just crawled out from, does it?

So, am I actually going to look for a job today.  It's Friday - TGIF and all that.  You know, when you're employed Friday means the end of the work week.  Yipee!!  When you're unemployed, Friday just means another day to check all the websites...again!

I can't believe I don't have a job already.  Everyday I get emails promising me Government Jobs, Work at Home jobs, flexible local jobs, etc.  I've actually opened up one or two of these messages.  You have click on a whole bunch of ads, give them all your personal information, and I think promise your first born or several pints of blood, or maybe your bank account number, something crazy like that.  After all that, you still don't get to the site promising those great government or work at home jobs.  Maybe one day next week, I'll actually follow one of those links and see how long it takes and how many pages I have to sift through before I get to the actual job postings.  As of today, I just haven't had the patience for that.

Guess I'm too picky ... I want the jobs to come too easily.  I don't want to have to sort though all the college ads, nor the face cream, or enhancements, or whatever it is they're peddling.  I must be too lazy.  Mom was right.  I expect everything to come to me too easily.  "Okay, Mom.  This is for you.  'You were right.' "  Ouch, that pains me to say that out loud almost as much as my right arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment